These chickpea brownies are delicious and very easy to make. These days everyone seems to be using some fancy sugar or oil that I don't have in the pantry. Unfortunately I can't be bothered buying the latest go to item. So when looking for something healthy but still easy to cook with the basic ingredients in my pantry, I created the following. A bit of this and that and what comes out of the oven is gorgeous and chocolatey! Who would have known that it was healthy too, well almost!
- 400g tin chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs or 3 medium eggs
- 1/3 cup cocoa (I like to use some dutch cocoa too)
- 2/3 cup raw sugar (whatever you have around is fine, caster sugar or raw sugar or a mix of both!)
- 2 Tbsp of milk (plus a bit more if required)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate melts or chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius fan forced.
- Line a rectangular brownie baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute, stir and continue in microwave in 30 sec bursts until melted.
- Add remaining ingredients to a stick mixer bowl and blend together until smooth.
- Add dark chocolate to blended ingredients and mix together until smooth.
- Add extra milk as required if its too thick. It should be easy to stir but not too liquidy!
- Pour mixture into tray and cook for 25 minutes or until a tester stick comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool in tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove from tin and leave on a wire rack to cool
- Cut, serve and enjoy! Delicious warm with a dollop of cream